MMU Anime Society

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MMU Anime Society

Manchester Metropolitan University's Anime, Manga and J-Pop Society

!!!ATTENTION!!! This board is now old and has been offically put out to stud.For current discussion, go to www.baka.omgforum.netThanks

5 posters

Happy Unbirthday!

philosophicalpurple

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Happy Unbirthday! Empty Happy Unbirthday!

Post by philosophicalpurple Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:43 am

Hello, just an intro to me

Found this advertised in the morning and being the sad-git I am I thought I'd post, I work on thursday nights so sadly won't be attending screenings but I thought I'd join the mmu animu club unofficially anyways.

Quite the introvert, Mr Pat tries to study Philosophy, failing that adding whiskey equals a crazy chinky on your hands (no thats not a racist thing, its me sense of humour...please don't let it bother you).

I have been into anime since I was 2 living in Hong Kong (saint seiya! Feel the burn!)

I admit I read more manga than watch anime, my favorite MANGA is Berserk (EPIC!!). Although I try and keep updates on: Gantz, Hajime Ippo, FMA, Shamo, Vagabond, Eden and that one where a guy gets a hole drilled in his head and develops psycho-analytical perception (I forgot what it was called).

Some completed manga I recommend are: Sanctuary, Spiral, Appleseed, DeathNote (you will all have read this by now) Blade of the Immortal and Lone wolf and Cub (these two just compliment each other so well, in BotI there is even a small nod to LWaC) and others when I can extract them from the grumpy noggin.

I have become impartial to Shounen lately, there is only so much powerups, mindless repetitions of fights, obsessions with strength and endless fillers I can take! I do like them now and again but there are far more genres than just fighting (fruits basket, wallflower, Harhui something melancholy (S.O.S brigade), addicted to curry for god sakes!), saying that I do like my Seinen, when I have time to keep up with it.

Currently I am reading Kurozuka (pleeeassseee don't let it fall into the damsel and distress syndrome)

Anyways I think I have babbled enough, thank you for having us (if you haven't already banned me yet).

- Mr Pat
    Samvich
    Samvich

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Happy Unbirthday! Empty Re: Happy Unbirthday!

Post by Samvich Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 am

Hello Mr Pat. Nice to have a new hand on the forums. It's sad that you can't make the Thursday showings, would you be able to make any other night for the parallel meeting?

You sound well-read on the Manga front judging from the list you provided. I myself am not that big on Manga, having not actually sampled any before, but I have seen a fair few of the titles on your list as Anime and have to say I enjoyed them.

Also, though I am not able, I don't think you'll be banned. So you're safe Very Happy
    philosophicalpurple

Happy Unbirthday! Empty ....parallel meeting?

Post by philosophicalpurple Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:33 am

Pardon me, but I have looked around the forum and I can't see any info on parallel nights,

where, when and what?
    - P

p.s. Manga and Anime walk hand in hand over the the spectrum field, however Anime sometimes misunderstands shady Manga; and like a 40 year old married beer bellied northener has selective hearing over his missus...ahem that is Manga. While both have their good sides in public, sometimes there is domestic abuse especially when it comes to plot.

e.g. Berserk Anime does absolutely no justice to the Manga, missing out important characters, explanations and only goes up to 1/3 of the current plot.
    Samvich
    Samvich

Post by Samvich Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:12 am

Erm...I'm guessing you get the weekly email? Well, they've been asking when people would be free to set up a parallel night. I don't know how many replies they have yet though, so I'm not sure that another night has been set up yet.
    Laughing Man
    Laughing Man
    Admin

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2008-11-13

Post by Laughing Man Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:30 am

Welcome to the forum Pat!

The parallel meetings will be on Wednesday at about 4:00 pm, they might even be a little different, it would be more work, but with a few more people interested we can book a second GM room (at the moment, we only have the one, on the Thursday) they are not up and running yet, due to lack of interest.
    Once we have sufficient names, we can book, for now, we're only a little short.
    Maybe next week?

If you want to be added to the newsletter mailing list, PM me with an email address (or I can use the one you signed up here with) the newsletter contains details on meetings, what's showing, voting results, bits of news and other various things, they will also have social event stuff in, like the night out we had last Friday you might be able to join in on.

Joining the society formally can be done once you turn up to the meeting ^_^

Now, that out the way, allow me to bow down to your superior manga skills.
    Last year I was the manga master, with a 200 strong library (Including a mostly complete Akira Toriyama works) You've got some names I haven't read, I tend to follow on Deathnote and FMA as well, but also Life, Rurouni Kenshin, Negima! Naruto, Dr. Slump, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Ragnarock, as well as loads of smaller things, like the dotHACK twilight series, Evangelion one and two, some Lupin III and some random bits and pieces I can't quite remember...

We should arrange a manga night some time ^_^
    Sombre
    Sombre

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-11-16

Post by Sombre Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm

"philosophicalpurple"
    I have become impartial to Shounen lately, there is only so much powerups, mindless repetitions of fights, obsessions with strength and endless fillers I can take!

Don't lie
    philosophicalpurple

Happy Unbirthday! Empty ...parallel nights.

Post by philosophicalpurple Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:29 am

Sure, I am definetly interested and can probably make the wednesday nights, my email is the same I have signed up with!

Hmmm a manga night should be cool, although admittedly I have most of them on CBR; only collected I have is Berserk (30+ volumes is getting ridiculous) and Death note (I am too poor a student to collect volumes nowadays). However congrats on the Akira novels, absolutely fantastic!

- P
    philosophicalpurple

Post by philosophicalpurple Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:02 am

Sombre wrote:
    "philosophicalpurple"
    I have become impartial to Shounen lately, there is only so much powerups, mindless repetitions of fights, obsessions with strength and endless fillers I can take!

Don't lie

The truth is, all statements are false. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    datalol-jack
    datalol-jack

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2008-11-23

Post by datalol-jack Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:24 am

The truth is, all statements are false.

Then there is no point in further argument, as you already know everything.

Welcome to the forums. We were thinking about Wednesday meetings for a while, ever since last year, but amazingly enough the voting this year flipped it to Thursday, and then people started dropping out. Can I hear three cheers for democracy? In any case, we will run two meetings a week to start with, and then either keep both or remove one based on attendance. The time for the Wednesday gatherings will be nearer to 6pm, as some people do not finish their Japanese class until about that time, Steve. Razz You will be notified by email about when the first of these will take place, too. So keep checking your inbox.
    Sombre
    Sombre

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-11-16

Post by Sombre Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:55 am

datalol-jack wrote:The time for the Wednesday gatherings will be nearer to 6pm, as some people do not finish their Japanese class until about that time, Steve.

You spelt Carl wrong ;<
    philosophicalpurple

Post by philosophicalpurple Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:43 am

datalol-jack wrote:
    The truth is, all statements are false.

Then there is no point in further argument, as you already know everything.

Apologies, it was the 'liar paradox'.

Anyways thank you for the info, I shall be attending wedsnesday hopefully and will check the inbox.

- P
    Samvich
    Samvich

Post by Samvich Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:05 pm

Even if the Wednesday showing does get put to 6pm it's unlikely that I'd be able to attend, since I'm busy - usually - until about 7ish. So unless there's something that really sparks my interest I think I'd just have to attend Thursday Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:37 am